Many of the dog owners find themselves in a situation when their dog is asking for a treat. But, due to the disturbing fact that the commercial dog foods, in particular, the dog treats can be harmful to the dog’s health; people want to know if they can feed some fruit to their dog?
So, yeah you can feed some fruits or vegetables to your dog like bananas, broccoli, blueberries, carrots, pears etc. When it comes to bananas, they are inexpensive and are present over your counter round the year.
Benefits of bananas:
Bananas rich in potassium, vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B6, fiber and soluble carbohydrates can serve as a healthy snack for your dog. Unlike commercial dog treats which contain preservatives, harmful chemicals, extra calories and other unhealthy fats, bananas contain a low level of cholesterol and sodium. They will not only serve as a treat for your dog but will also improve the health of your dog in the following ways:
• Ripe bananas are prescribed by vets to treat a condition like colitis. Bananas contain certain enzymes which can heal the irritations in the intestine. Moreover, colon spasm can also be prevented by using bananas.
• Bananas can relieve constipation and other stomach problems can also be treated by using bananas.
• Bananas provide a boost of energy to your dog making them active and healthy.
• Due to the presence of potassium, bananas also help in the maintenance of fluid balance.
• Bananas contain antioxidants that protect cell damage and certain cancers resulting in healthy skin and coat.
We know that excess of anything is bad, that is why never give your dog too much of the fruit. Bananas are difficult to be digested by the dogs and they can lead to severe constipation. High potassium content can lead to hyperglycemia, causing heart issues in your dog. Hence, before feeding bananas or any other food always consult your vet. Many dogs are allergic to bananas so try giving your dog only a small piece of banana at first. If your dog shows any allergic symptoms then do not feed bananas to him.
How much amount of bananas you can feed to your dog depends on the size and weight of your dog. It is very important to know that banana can be given only as a treat and in limited amounts only. You can either cut the banana into small pieces or mash it up but never give large pieces of banana to your dog. Never feed the banana peel to your dog.
Large to medium sized breeds: Feed half a banana to your dog twice a week.
Small breeds: Feed only a few pieces of banana twice a week.
Remember, that the banana treat cannot replace the whole meal of your dog. It will not fulfill the nutritional needs of your dog like the canine-formulated diet does. If you notice any weight changes or stomach issues in your dog then avoid feeding bananas to your canine.
Here are a few dog treats you can make at your home using bananas:
• In four ounces of plain yoghurt add about an inch of mashed banana. Spread the mixture in your dog’s dish and let him enjoy licking it.
• Take one cup of oat flour and add in it one beaten egg, one mashed banana, three tablespoons of peanut butter, one tablespoon of honey and 2/3 cup of rolled oats. Mix all ingredients and let the dough sit for 5 minutes. Roll the dough into biscuits. Bake the dog treat for 40-45 minutes in a pre-heated oven.
Bananas are quite good for your dog’s health but only when given in small amount otherwise, they can have hazardous effects on your dog’s health. Try consulting your vet before giving anything new to your dog.